Using the FOG Boot Menu¶
FOG attempts to keep management centralized, but in an attempt to
make deploying machines as easy as possible FOG has added a few
basic client side tasks.
These tasks can be run from the client computer during the PXE boot
When the client boots and the FOG banner is displayed the pxe client
will display a prompt like boot: or something similar.
At this point you have 3 seconds to start typing one of the
| Quick Registration and Inventory
| Perform Full Registration and Inventory
- This command will run the memtest86+ on the client computer.
- fog.memtest is the command used to reference this action in pxe
Quick Registration and Inventory¶
This command will run the basic host registration and inventory
process without any user input.
It will register any new/unregistered hosts with the FOG server
and pull a basic hardware inventory from them.
- The hostname of the computer will be the same as the MAC address without the
- You can also customize this auto-naming in the fog
If a host is already registered, then only an inventory will be
fog.reg is the command used to reference this action in pxe menu
Perform Full Registration and Inventory¶
- This command will run the full host registration process with user
input, inventory and give the option to push down an image, all at
the same time. During this process the user registering the host
will be prompted for the computer host name, ip address, operating
system ID, image ID, Primary User of the computer, asset tag 1,
and asset tag 2.
- If a valid hostname, os id, and image id are given and the option
is selected to image the workstation after registration, the host
will reboot and an imaging send will began.
- If a host is already registered, then only an inventory will be
performed, this prevents end-users from re-registering a machine
with a different hostname, etc.
- This tasks was designed for institutions that may get shipments of
hundreds of computers that need to be deployed very quickly. They
can be unboxed, inventoried, imported into FOG and imaged very
- fog.reginput is the command used to reference this action in pxe
As of version 0.17, you can enter ''?'' at the Image ID prompt
to get a listing of all your images and their ID numbers.
The image ID you specify will be deployed to the computer after a
reboot if you choose to
image nowat the end of the registartion
Image IDs can be found in the management console, in the
Image Management section.
- The image id is listed after the
-suffixed to the image name you set
Alternatively Search for the image, and click on the edit button associated with the image, : - The image id will be in the Address/url bar in the format of `&imageid=xx`.